Here I am, reporting live from my ocean view bed at Le Blanc Spa resort in Cancun Mexico. For some reason vacations have me early to bed and early to rise. At home I’m more than content to stay up to the wee hours and sleep til at least 10. Here seems to be the opposite. I’d like to think it’s because I enjoy being out and in the sun that much.
Today marks day 2 of rain. Yesterday I went shopping to escape the rain. I had high hopes of buying a Louis bag but the prices here are so inflated it’s crazy. Ditto to a white strapped watch with crystals around the face. I tried to buy new Havaiana flip flops and they were out of my size. Needless to say it was a fruitless trip but a good way to pass the time.
I’m happy to report my wet feet have not slipped on the marble floors, and I have not given any additional money to Palace Resorts. In fact, I’ve never left a member update meeting so angry in my life. I may just be a medic and not overly business savvy but there are a few things I know and have learned about negotiations along the way….
1) It’s generally helpful if the vendor knows your contract as well as you do so they aren’t trying to resell you the same things over again.
2) It’s also helpful that if I tell you I have something in my contract, when it’s clear I know it better than you, don’t tell me no I don’t.
3) Pressure sales tactics don’t work on someone who has already bought in to your company.
4) If you promise to make something right, make sure you follow through with your promise whether I invest more or not.
5) Mr. Salesman… EVERYTHING is negotiable if you want the sale bad enough and you enter into the negotiations with a clear intent to make a deal; realizing both parties will need to compromise to complete the transaction.
6) Removing currently enjoyed benefits and replacing them with worthless ones will not get a deal done, unless you’re dealing with a sucker.
7) Knowing your client and understanding their why will get you very very far. At this point the art of the sale is not about you, but about tapping in to your clients needs and satisfying said need. Chances are, if I need a coffee maker but you’d rather sell me an oven, a deal will never be reached.
The storms here have been crazy. I’ve never seen the ocean so rough. We had a huge water leak through the night in our room. I hesitated to tell our butler in fear we’d be moved to a crappier room but there really is a huge puddle in the living area. Someone drowned in the rough waters on Saturday night at the resort next door. To be fair, red flags were flying everywhere along the beach, so it was an unfortunate result of his misadventures. Cue the media uproar.
I’m going to spend my afternoon in the spa and hope for sunny days ahead!